Rockbridge Academy Presents
The Rockbridge Academy drama program is designed to give students an in depth understanding of what it takes to bring a full-length musical, or musical variety production, to completion. Students learn the value of godly character, hard work, and cooperation as they go from initial auditions and read-throughs, to the final curtain, always encouraged to keep in mind standards of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty (Php. 4:8). In addition, musical stage productions serve a distinctive role in giving "flesh" to the concept of rhetoric. Students use their talents to persuade and articulate in a way that a traditional class never could. Students are encouraged to be part of the stage crew if that is where their particular gifts and talents lie.
Typically, students perform a full-length musical, and a student-lead Variety Show, in alternating years. This past school year, 2012-2013, Rockbridge Academy performed a variety show: A Mid-Oral's Week Dream, to rave reviews.
This year's musical: THE MUSIC MAN
This year's musical is Meredith Willson's The Music Man. In this award-winning Broadway musical, con-man Harold Hill passes himself off as "Professor" Harold Hill, boys band impresario. He sells band instruments and uniforms to the good folk of River City, Iowa, explaining that the boys don't need to touch their instruments, but will learn to play through his revolutionary "Think System." However, the prim librarian and piano teacher, Marian Paroo, sees through his ruse. But when Professor Hill helps her younger brother Winthrop overcome his shyness due to his lisp, Marian begins to fall for him. Harold falls for Marian as well, and risks arrest by the town's authorities to win her.
Below is important information regarding auditions and rehearsals. If, after reviewing what follows, you have questions, please email either Assistant Director Lysa Lytikainen (email@example.com) or Director Mike McKenna (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Who: Auditions are open to students in grades 3-12. Fill out the audition form HERE. Return it to the Main Office by close of business, Thursday, September 26.
- When: Monday-Thursday, September 30-October 3, 3-5 PM. Callbacks are Friday, October 4, 3-4 PM.
- Where: Main Campus.
- What: Students should sign up for one “dance audition” and one “singing/reading audition.” The auditions will be held as posted on the sign-up sheet on the door of the main office. Students will be grouped by age-range, and student groups will learn a simple dance combination at the same time. Students should wear dance shoes (jazz or character) or tennis shoes. Please no stocking feet or slip-on shoes. The singing/reading auditions will also be scheduled as posted on a separate sign-up sheet on the main office door. Please be prepared to sing the excerpt (click on one of the links below), and for the reading portion of the audition, prepare one of the script “slides” (click on one of the links below).
Participation in the Show:
- Cost: $200 Musical Participation Fee for those cast in the final production (checks made out to Rockbridge Academy, due at first cast and parents meeting, October 29).
- Rehearsals: Rehearsals will be held after school, Monday-Friday, from 2:45-5:00 PM at the K-3 campus, while rehearsals held at the main campus will run from 2:45-4:00 PM, both beginning October 30. There will be practice the first two days of Thanksgiving break, November 25-26. Saturday practices are tentatively scheduled for November 2, 9, 16, and December 7, 14 and 21 at Grace Point EP Church, 615 Donaldson Ave, Severn, MD. In addition, practice will be held during the second week of Christmas break, December 30-31, 2013, and in the evenings the week of February 17-21, 2014, at Grace Point EP. In addition, there will be a costume fitting at the home of Karen Antkowiak on Saturday, January 18, 2014. If you have a more significant role in the musical, you can expect to rehearse more regularly. If you have a more minor role, you will rehearse less regularly. As we approach performance dates, the frequency and length of rehearsals will obviously increase. The rehearsal schedule will be posted on the Drama page of our website (http://www.rockbridge.org/slife/drama.php), and also on the music bulletin board upstairs, typically two weeks in advance.
- Tech Rehearsals: Tech Rehearsal Dates at Bowie Center for the Performing Arts, 15200 Annapolis Road, Bowie, MD, are February 24-26, 2014.
- Performance Dates: February 27-28, 2014, 5:30-10 PM (show time 7:30); March 1, 12:00 PM (show times 2:00 & 7:00 PM), also at BCPA.
From 2011-2012's Musical, Annie Get Your Gun