The application is online. Please submit one application for each student seeking admission. There is a $150 non-refundable application fee per applicant, with a $300 maximum per family. Once a family has created an account, they will have a checklist that guides them through the steps necessary to complete the application.
Upon submission of a complete application, application fee, and supporting materials, a family interview will be arranged. Both parents and the applicant(s) are to attend the interview.
All academic testing begins in February. Kindergarten readiness assessments and grades 1-3 will be individually scheduled during the week. Saturday dates are available for grades 4 and above.
After completion of the family interview and academic testing, the decision for acceptance or denial will be made by the Admissions Committee. We are looking for families who will benefit from and be a benefit to Rockbridge Academy. Additionally, we require every student to be academically ready for the Rockbridge Acaemy curriculum, which may include completion of necessary remedial work with a Rockbridge tutor.
Once a student has been offered admission to Rockbridge Academy, parents will have two weeks to accept the offer and submit their deposit to secure the student's seat.
Student Academic Requirements
Children entering kindergarten should be able to demonstrate appropriate age maturity and letter recognition and some sound association. They are expected to recognize numbers 1-10, be able to count to 20, and know their address, telephone number, and birth date.
New applicants will be given an admissions test to determine basic skill levels and grade placement. Every applicant must successfully pass the entrance tests for reading, math, English, and Latin (where applicable), and complete any necessary remedial work before being admitted to the school.
Supplemental Required Documents
- Student records, including, but not limited to, student report cards, high school transcripts, and standardized test results.
- Home school coursework summaries of most recent two previous years.
- For applicants applying to 5th grade and higher, one- to two-paragraph essay entitled, “Why I Want to Attend Rockbridge Academy.” Shadow days or tours are highly recommended to inform the applicant's essay.
Is Rockbridge Academy a good fit?
In Loco Parentis
We believe that the Bible clearly instructs parents, not the church or state, to "bring children up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4). As a school, we operate “in loco parentis,” or in the place of the parents, providing an educational service to families. Therefore, we seek to teach and discipline in a manner consistent with the Bible and a godly home environment, coming alongside parents who are intent on fostering a life of faith in Christ in their children with accompanying habits of diligence, obedience, scholarship, and grace.
Is Rockbridge Academy a good fit for our family?
- Do we understand the goals and objectives of classical Christian education?
- Is our primary interest the curriculum and the application of a Christian worldview?
- Do we believe the Bible? Do we read and study it?
- How does my child respond to authority? Does he/she demonstrate self-control and respect for others?
- Do we understand what the Bible has to say about communication? Do we desire to communicate biblically with families, teachers, and administrators?
- Is our primary assessment of our child's success measured in grades and awards, or in a job well done?
- If transferring from another school or entering from home school, are we prepared for a difference in academic standards, discipline, and curriculum?