This year’s variety show theme is the “Tony" Awards, an award show with performances, awards, MC’s, acceptance speeches, etc. Genres of music that fit into this theme range from musicals (stage and screen), jazz standards, do-wop, to barbershop quartets or sweet adelines. Auditions will be held during one afternoon, Friday, November 18, and there will be an informational meeting during the first week of school where detailed audition information and applications will be available. As you plan your audition(s), please keep the following guidelines in mind:
- The show will be approximately 2 hours long including dialogue and will likely consist of 2-4 solo pieces, 2-4 duets, 3-5 small groups, 6-8 large groups, and 2-4 comedy acts.
- All act concepts/songs must be approved by sending an email to email@example.com by September 30 with the following information:
- Name of song or comedy routine
- Brief description of the concept
- If it is a large, grade-level act, include the names of the:
- Student leader
- Parent who will act as the “team mom” who will coordinate rehearsals and serve as the point of contact for the group
- All lyrics or scripts must be memorized for the audition. In addition to memorized lyrics, the judges are looking for 30 seconds of a dance routine to give them an idea of the concept for your act, not a polished, stage-ready performance.
- As you consider songs for approval, please ask, “How am I representing the Kingdom of God in this piece?” and reflect upon Paul’s commands in Philippians 4:8.
Basketball players may participate in the Variety Show, but please consider the amount of time you will need to devote to each activity to be a faithful participant in both. Basketball commitments take priority over the variety show. If you have any questions or need help with an idea, please feel free to contact a member of the Variety Show creative team, Mrs. Lytikainen, Mrs. Ball, Mrs. Diekemper, or Mr. Griffith.