We are proud to announce Rockbridge Academy’s 2016 musical production, You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown! The musical will be performed February 25-27, 2016. For those of you who are not familiar with the musical version of this beloved comic, you are in for a great treat. This musical majors in laughter, simplicity, friendship, and childhood – all infused with the ageless wisdom of Charles Schultz. Broadway audiences loved the 1999 revival version, and the show was nominated in 14 categories for the Tonys that year. We will be performing the 1999 version for our very own audiences, and it is appropriate and fun for all ages from preschool to great-grandparents!
Rockbridge Academy Presents
You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown!
February 25-27, 2016
The Rockbridge Academy drama program is designed to give students an in depth understanding of what it takes to bring a full-length musical, or musical variety production, to completion. Students learn the value of godly character, hard work, and cooperation as they go from initial auditions and read-throughs, to the final curtain, always encouraged to keep in mind standards of Truth, Goodness, and Beauty (Php. 4:8). In addition, musical stage productions serve a distinctive role in giving "flesh" to the concept of rhetoric. Students use their talents to persuade and articulate in a way that a traditional class never could. Students are encouraged to be part of the stage crew if that is where their particular gifts and talents lie.
Typically, students perform a full-length musical, and a student-lead Variety Show, in alternating years. Last year in the 2014-2015 school year, Rockbridge Academy performed The Grand Tour: A Whirlwind Adventure, to rave reviews.
All auditions will take place on Wednesday, October 14, 2015.
- VOCAL AUDITION: All auditioning students will perform an individual vocal selection for the judging panel from approximately 3:15 - 5:00 pm.
- DANCE AUDITION: All auditioning students will learn and perform a group dance from approximately 5:00 - 6:00 pm.
- CALL BACKS: Selected students will be called back from 6:00 - 8:00 pm to read excerpts from the script. All other students will be excused at this time. Being excused at this time or called back does not guarantee selection for or exclusion from the show.
All participants are expected to attend the entire vocal and dance audition. All audition times are approximate.
All auditioning students will present a memorized prepared piece of their choosing from the classical or contemporary Broadway repertoire that demonstrates a character and is appropriate to the student’s vocal register. Music for the accompanist and the Rockbridge Academy Players Contract must be submitted to Mrs. Ball by Wednesday, October 7.
Audition results will be posted here by Friday, October 16.
Rehearsal and Performance Schedule
The official calendar will be posted on the Musical Rehearsal Schedule. Regular rehearsals will be held Monday through Friday from 2:55 - 5:00 pm at either the Main Campus or the K-3 Campus, beginning on Monday, November 16th. Rehearsals will also be held outside of the regular rehearsal schedule on the following dates:
- Monday, November 23 - 9:00am-12:00pm
- Tuesday, November 24 - 9:00am-12:00pm
- Saturday, December 12 - 9:00am-3:00pm
- Monday, December 21 - 9:00am-12:00pm
- Tuesday, December 22 - 9:00am-12:00pm
- Saturday, January 9 - 9:00am-3:00pm
- Saturday, February 6 - 9:00am-3:00pm
- Tech Rehearsals February 15-19 - 4:00-8:00pm
- Saturday, February 20 - 9:00am-12:00pm (Principals only)
- Dress Rehearsals February 22-24 - 4:00-10:00pm
- Performances February 25, 26, and 27